Thursday, February 21, 2008

You make a living at that?

For our entire adult lives we've been asked the question, "Do you make a living doing that?" To give you some context for that, we've been licensed Indian traders, purveyors of custom knives, have owned a fine jewelry store, and now own Scottsdale Pen. This year marks our 28th year of self-employment pursuing the resale of beautiful objects. It is perhaps because I am left-handed that I gravitate towards the artistic side of life, marvelling at art and architecture in the myriad forms those take. I can't help myself in this regard, and my life-long partner in crime, my "first" wife Karen, has graciously attached herself to this willy-nilly sleighride I've taken her on. We love beautiful things and are always excited when we're able to satisfy or stimulate similar interests and longings in others. You hear people say that you should pursue your passions and we're great believers in that. I'll never be "The Richest Man in Babylon" (to borrow from a book title), but I'll be able to look back and say I've been true to myself and did the things I wanted to do regardless of how they turned out or if other people can ever understand why.

No comments: